MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

connecting to the database over a network
Posted by: savage
Date: January 18, 2005 11:49AM

Hi all,

I'm completely new to MySQL, so I'm probably doing something completely wrong.

What I want is a database that can be accessed from different computers on a network. The databse files can be on the server, which in my case is the F:

I installed MySQL on my workstation, and it worked fine. I can make a database, and tables an everything, and the database gets saved on the F:

Then I tried to connect to it from another workstation, and that one would not connect. Only when I shut down my workstation, and thus close the connection to the database, THEN the other workstation can connect. Ofcourse, when that other workstation is connected, my own workstation cannot connect.

I believe that it should be possible to connect to the database simultaniously from different workstations. But how do I do that. At this moment I don't need to give a username and password. I can connect without giving that, just by starting the winmyslqadmin.exe and then starting the mysql prompt. Only, one workstation at a time.

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, then please help. I'm too much of a noob to help myself ;).

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.