Skip navigation links

MySQL Forums :: Newbie :: setting user password ??

Advanced Search

setting user password ??
Posted by: Bill Case ()
Date: June 11, 2007 02:04PM

Hi;

I am having a problem getting mysql to recognize my user password. Currently I am doing everything on 'localhost' [CASE]

My root password works; I have access and can create databases as root.

I used MySql Administrator to create a user 'bill' and gave that user a password (billpw) different from root and applied most of the global privileges including 'CREATE'.

I can open mysql with root and rootpw. As well, I can open mysql with user 'bill' and rootpw but NOT with billpw.

[bill@CASE ~]$ mysql -u bill -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'bill'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Even when I open Mysql with bill rootpw, I get the following:

mysql> CREATE DATABASE menagerie;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'menagerie'

I can CREATE the DATABASE as root.

I have read Section 5.7, “The MySQL Access Privilege System” and nothing seems to apply -- but that could just be newbie ignorance.

Do I have some Linux permission problem related to MySql or have I done something wrong when creating my user ?

How can I check for the error?

Regards
Bill
-----
MySql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.37
MySql Administrator ver 1.2.11
Fedora 7

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
setting user password ?? Bill Case 06/11/2007 02:04PM
Re: setting user password ?? - [SOLVED] Bill Case 06/12/2007 11:16AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.