MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

How to remove all traces and start over?
Posted by: Robert Andrews
Date: April 22, 2005 12:28PM

Hi there,

I was having problems with my installation of MySQL, like not being able to switch off/on the server, not being able to login successfully.

So I'm getting on top of things. I want to remove all traces of MySQL and start from scratch.
Of course, my Powerbook 15" purchased in August 2004 came with a version of MySQL, I believe, and I've installed a couple of that since then. You can see the versions present below...

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 48 4 Apr 19:11 mysql -> mysql-standard-4.1.10a-apple-darwin7.7.0-powerpc
drwxr-xr-x 19 root wheel 646 30 Dec 13:02 mysql-standard-4.0.23-apple-darwin7.6.0-powerpc
drwxr-xr-x 19 root wheel 646 4 Apr 19:11 mysql-standard-4.1.10a-apple-darwin7.7.0-powerpc
drwxr-xr-x 19 root wheel 646 30 Dec 11:41 mysql-standard-4.1.8-apple-darwin7.6.0-powerpc

... so I'd like some advice.

What's the best way to go about doing this? Maybe using the removal script at http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/remove-old-mysql.html? Would this get rid of everything? Not that I'm especially experienced with this stuff, but would it get rid of wherever the user accounts are stored as well? Incidentally, where are they stored - surely not in the MySQL folder itself; would it be that simple - just scrap the folder and the accounts are gone? One of the problems I was having was accounts overlapping in some way?

Any drawbacks in removing everything in this way? Would this get rid of the version that came with OS X; do I want to do that?

How do I back things up? Like, the databases already in my system? I'll want to scrap these, too, but keep a backup. I'm not certain how I'd copy those folders from /usr/ to my actual Mac file area and, if restoring them, vice versa.

I had been having problems with overlapping accounts etc. - there's something about creating a separate account for mysql; what's that about?

Many thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
How to remove all traces and start over?
April 22, 2005 12:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.