MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Multiple entries for a single column
Posted by: Darryl Gerbrandt
Date: May 04, 2005 11:07AM

Okay - I am sure this will be simple when I know how to do it I'm sure...

I am creating a database to keep track of all my books, movies, and music (both audio and sheet music). I am starting with my movies, and have created a table and added relevant columns for such things as movie title, director, actors, etc.

Here's the thing: I want some of my columns, such as the Actor column, to be capable of containing a dynamic and unspecified number of entries.

Say for instance I'm doing the record on the movie Star Wars: A New Hope, and I want to list Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Daniels, Jones, Baker, and Cushing, but all under the category Actor, for simple querying.

The only way I have figured out to make this workable is to create multiple columns, for instance Actor1_lastName and Actor2_lastName and Actor3_lastName... ad nauseum... along with their corresponding _firstName. And setting up queries in this format is a pain.

There's got to be an easier way.

I'm thinking 3-dimensionally, but I can only see in two dimensions.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Multiple entries for a single column
May 04, 2005 11:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.