MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
Posted by: Z Nice
Date: March 27, 2009 02:54PM

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and to MySQL. I poked around here looking for a solution to my specific issue, but had no luck. If this has been covered ad-nauseum already, feel free to point me toward a relevant thread. In any case:
I installed xampp on my linux (Mandriva '09) machine. I am able to manage my MySQL database via phpmyadmin through my browser and also through the MySQL Administrator gui desktop app. I am able to pull up the console in MySQL Administrator (Tools>>Text Console)and manage the database that way too. When I try to work with the database in bash, however (by running "mysql -h localhost -u root -p"), I get "ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)". I am sure this is some very basic configuration issue (why I'm posting in the "newbie" forum), I'm just not sure exactly what to do.
Thanks,
Nick Z

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.