MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Multiple Data Source Help !PLEASE!
Posted by: Scott McInturf
Date: May 25, 2005 06:13AM

Greetings, Newbie here so proceed carefully.

*The Problem*
- Multiple data sources to deal with; several flat file extracts from different sources, an oracle database associated with an application and a progress database associated with an application. I need to take information from all sources, compare and contrast, add/delete info and import results into the progress database in an automated feed daily.

*How I've been doing it*
I've been accomplishing this by running multiple crystal reports against the application databases, kicking out results cvs files to a location and then using the automated application import to bring in the database. I have problems with redundant info between the various sources. There must be a cleaner way!

- I've been using mysql for a few months, like it, and would like to use it to resolve my problem unless suggestions take me in a different direction. I've been looking at Navicat to see if this would accomplish my goals as well as exploring RapidSQL and other independent odbc tools. My thinking would be to do automated imports of tables from the various locations daily, run my queries and kick out one file with all the info for import or update the progress database directly rather than using the import tool with the application. I dont know what what type of scheduler would be used but I'm thinking it would be native to the application such as Navicat or otherwise.

I hope this makes sense and I would certainly appreciate any and all help.
Thanks
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Multiple Data Source Help !PLEASE!
May 25, 2005 06:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.