MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Problem with SELECT statements.....
Posted by: cdubks88
Date: May 26, 2005 04:18PM

I'm trying to work out an issue with a SELECT statement and can't seem to figure out the best way to do it.

I have a table with fields that I need to use for the SELECT, called event1, date1, time1, tix1 and I have six separate "sets" of those four fields (in other words, there's a corresponding event2, event3, event4, event5, event6....date2, date3, date4, date5, date6.....etc).

Right now, insertform.php page form method set to post to a page called insert2.php.

insert2.php contains the SELECT statement that needs to sum the number of tickets for a given event where any of three fields (event, date and time) are equal to the event, date and time submitted in the previous form.

I had done something like this (my apologies beforehand - I'm new to mysql and php):

$event1_query = "select SUM(tix1) AS event1_tix FROM table1 WHERE (((event1='$event1') AND (date1='$date1') AND (time1 = '$time1')) or ((event2='$event1') AND (date2='$date1') AND (time2 = '$time1')) or ((event3='$event1') AND (date3='$date1') AND (time3 = '$time1')) or ((event4='$event1') AND (date4='$date1') AND (time4 = '$time1')) or ((event5='$event1') AND (date5='$date1') AND (time5 = '$time1')) or ((event6='$event1') AND (date6='$date1') AND (time6 = '$time1')))";

$event1_result = mysql_query($event1_query) or die("Query: ".$event1_query."<br />\n\nError: ".mysql_error()."<br />\n");

$event1_tix = mysql_result($event1_result, 0, 0);

But I don't think that's right, because it will only giving me the sum of the number of tickets that are in tix1 column.

I couldn't seem to figure out how to do that right - do I need to include a SUM(tix2) + SUM(tix3) + SUM(tix4)....and so on - or something like that to qualify that right?

Thanks,

C.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Problem with SELECT statements.....
May 26, 2005 04:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.