MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Completely remove MySQL from OS X (Tiger) ?
Posted by: Jay Hill
Date: May 31, 2005 04:48AM

Okay, I started out with the V5 beta of MySQL and got it installed. Successfully installed the MySQL Admin tool and could connect to the database. I then tried to create a new database and set of tables and it didn't work. At that point, it just hung with the spinning beach ball. ;-)

Every time I try and connect now, I get the error: Could not connect to MySQL instance at localhost. Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61) (code 2002).

Having searched the MySQL site, I can find similar errors but not the (61) (code 2002) specifics (did find sometihng on the (2) error code. If I open the "MySQL Preference Pane", it shows that the MySQL instance is running but the button shows "Start MySQL Server". I've looked and don't see mysqld running in the processes. Clicking the Start MySQL Server button does not change anything.

I've tried going in as root (sudo) and deleting all the MySql files/folders that I can find thinking I might be able to delete everything and reinstall. After doing so, when I run the installer again, the option is to "upgrade". If i do this, it shows a successful install/upgrade but no luck connecting.

I've checked the /tmp/ folder and mysql.sock is in the folder.

So, I know I've really wonked up this installation. Can someone tell me how to completely remove the installation so that I can start again? I've tried the "remove-old-mysql.sh" utility without luck. I'd appreciate any help in getting this worked out.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Completely remove MySQL from OS X (Tiger) ?
May 31, 2005 04:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.