MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Order of installation
Posted by: Steve H
Date: June 06, 2005 11:14AM

Background:
The Unix server on Apache already has MySQL 3.23 and PHP 4 installed. I've never used MySQL, so there are no tables at present.

Problem:
I need even more basic steps to upgrade 3.23 to 4.0 than the Reference Manual gives. (I read somewhere that I cannot upgrade directly to 4.1.) I expect to use the FreeBSD 4.x (x86) version. Would the following be the steps I take in order? If not, how should the order be corrected?

1. Download the FreeBSD software to my Windows XP computer.
2. Create a /mysql4.0/ folder in the same Unix server directory as the current /mysql/ and copy the downloaded file to the newer folder.
3. Using my Putty program, do a vinstall mysql (in the newer folder) to install the newer version in this folder. Am I supposed to stop the earlier version first? If so, what command do I give for this? Once the new version is installed, may I simply do a Remove of the earlier version's folder?

I think once these steps are taken, I'll be able to follow the steps in the Reference Manual. Am I right?

Regards,
Steve H

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Order of installation
June 06, 2005 11:14AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.