MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

mysql search performance
Posted by: ian herbert
Date: October 29, 2009 08:09PM

I have a table that contains address' and names etc, it has about 39 columns. All I'm doing right now is searching rows just by zip code and with the amount of rows(~2000) i have right now it performs alright. If I were to import 8 million rows into that table and search the table for zip code which is currently a varchar I am assuming it will perform very slowly.

So lets assume it does perform very slowly, I havn't tested it out yet so I don't know. Would this solution work to speed things up a bit?

If I were to store zips/primary key from the above table in a separate table, have the zip as an integer instead of a varchar, and then search this table for zips. Then gather the rest of the information from the found results through a join to the above table. Would this makes things a bit faster?

Or would this be same thing as making the zip in the original table an indexed column?

Thanks
-Ian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
mysql search performance
October 29, 2009 08:09PM
October 30, 2009 03:00AM
November 01, 2009 12:57AM
November 01, 2009 11:18AM
October 30, 2009 08:10PM
October 31, 2009 09:22PM
October 31, 2009 10:55PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.