MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: logical OR on two fields in a table in a database
Posted by: Erin ONeill
Date: June 29, 2005 01:49PM

Now I'm having fun with Server variables without access to the actual machine outside of phpMyAdmin. I can't run top. I can't run ulimit -aH. I can't run any sort of usual unix command I might to see how things are. I did manage to crash MySQL with my table_cache var! I followed the formula:
table_cache= max_connections * (avg/max num of tables in join) <= open files limit.

Our open files limit was set by the Sys Admin to be 3010. I assumed that the ulimit had been fixed so that the default linux open files was at least 3010. I set the table_cache to 2400. The server ZOOMED and then crashed with too many open files. eh, eh. I'm assuming someone forgot to change the 1024 limit.

They've forced me down to 320. Queries aren't being cached! They changed the key_buffer to 256M. things are mud so now I can't play with slow queries. Maybe tomorrow.

It's very hard to tune a database blindfolded which is what it feels like.

I guess by the time I get to Ver 5 of mysql most of the bugs will be worked out -- but I'll be sure to check out your book. It'll be fun to play with triggers and procedures and REAL foreign keys!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.