MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: help understanding query...
Posted by: Nathan Ziarek
Date: July 15, 2005 09:44AM

OK...I've figured out the query (that 'ALL' command sure is helpful):

SELECT DISTINCT(keywordid) FROM media.map_keywordimage WHERE imageid=ANY(SELECT imageid FROM media.map_keywordimage WHERE keywordid=33);

That works, but with the tiny amount of data I have now, it take 11 seconds to run.

I've seen some other examples where people have suggested alternative table layouts. Here is mine, in case someone can suggest something.

media.map_keywordimage
+------+---------+-----------+
| id | imageid | keywordid |
+------+---------+-----------+
| 1 | 434 | 7 |
| 2 | 434 | 9 |
| 3 | 434 | 20 |
| 4 | 434 | 39 |
| 5 | 434 | 41 |
| 6 | 436 | 7 |
| 7 | 436 | 9 |
...etc

I also have another table that I do not use that simply matches each keyword with any other keyword it shares an image with:

mysql> SELECT * FROM media.map_keyword;
+----+------------+------------+
| id | keywordid1 | keywordid2 |
+----+------------+------------+
| 1 | 41 | 7 |
| 2 | 7 | 41 |
| 3 | 41 | 9 |
| 4 | 9 | 41 |
| 5 | 41 | 20 |
| 6 | 20 | 41 |
...etc

I originaly thought that, when creating this table (which is truncated and recreated from scratch from another DB), it would be smarter to make the correlations here, rather than when a user requested them on the site. It was ugly, but if it worked, I was all for it. My problem here is that, if a user chooses keyword 7, I want the system to only return keywords that will yeild actual results. If the user then chooses keyword 9, I want the system to only display keywords that work with BOTH 7 AND 9. The error comes in when 7 matches with 10 and 9 matches with 10, but 7, 9 and 10 never appear on the same picture.

OK, I am babbling now.

Is there anything I can do to make that query above faster?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: help understanding query...
July 15, 2005 09:44AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.