MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

CPU usage spikes to 100% every week or so
Posted by: Brian O Mahony
Date: March 23, 2010 06:02AM

I am running mysql 5.0.22 on RHEL5.1 (kernel 2.6.18-53) on a virtual server in VMWare's ESXi. The virtual server has 4Gb of reserved memory and 4 vCPUs (However these are not reserved)

I migrated this system from physical hardware previously that was running rhel4u6. I did a fresh install of the OS and migrated my databases. The server runs a few bugzilla instances, and a few wikis, none of which would have massive amounts of data.

Over the last few months, every week or two the system spikes up to 100% CPU usage for mysqld, both in TOP and on the ESX monitoring tool. Not knowing too much about mysql other than the basics, i'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this.

When i restart the mysql process, everything works fine for a while again (last time the machine was rebooted was 100 days ago.

Having just googled this, I found a command called show processes that should show me whats going on when this next happens.

As its a production server, I cant really make changes on the fly.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
CPU usage spikes to 100% every week or so
March 23, 2010 06:02AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.