MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Best use of SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS for complex queries
Posted by: Bert Hooyman
Date: July 28, 2005 07:29AM

I am trying to populate a paginated web page of database content, using the techniques with SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS and LIMIT.
The description given in the online documentation (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/information-functions.html) addresses this for situations where the database query returns exactly one row for each row in the final web page. When my query is more complex, I end up with multiple query result rows for a single primary key. That's fine, but now LIMIT does not really help me any more.
So, I break my task in two. First query is for PK only, so this returns exactly one row for each final table row on my page. I use LIMIT and SELECT FOUND_ROWS() so I can implement pagination correctly. A second query is used that would give me everything I really need to know about each item in my web page, this query involves JOINS and has multiple rows per PK. I extend the query with "WHERE PK IN (7,8,9,10,11,12)" which would give me 6 instances, starting from number 7. That works fine, but I'm unsure if this is the best way to do this. Any feedback appreciated.

One step more complex, the PK is actually a composite key, so now I can no longer use "WHERE PK IN (7,8,9,10,11,12)". Instead, it's going to be something convoluted like
"WHERE ((PKa=val1 AND PKb=val2) OR (PKa=val3 AND PKb=val4) OR (PKa=val5 AND PKb=val6) OR (PKa=val7 AND PKb=val8) OR (PKa=val9 AND PKb=val10) OR (PKa=val11 AND PKb=val12))". I hate this. I'm just not fluent enough in SQL to improve on it. Again, any feedback appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Best use of SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS for complex queries
July 28, 2005 07:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.