MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Old databases that are no longer required
Posted by: Paul Barnaby
Date: September 29, 2010 04:47AM

Hello!

I'm using mysql 5 community server on a linux 2.6.x box (its a game server colo) to store dbs required by its cs/css/tf2 (custom counterstrike and half life 2) mods. I've since upgraded various plugins / mods where it was easier to create a new db and import the contents of the previous versions db, rather than attempting to alter / configure the outdated database used by previous mods. When the game developers release updates, it can sometimes adversely effect the mods I'm using and rolling back to a previous version is often a temporary solution.

My question is whether or not the databases that are no longer being used on my mysql server take up resources, other than hd space, when not being called/connected/queried by anything. For example, is it using physical memory space (not hdd) even when its not used? If so, is there a way for me to disable them, but not completely remove them from the mysql server? Is there a way to create a complete backup of the entire db and store it on hdd space elsewhere, but still have the ability to restore it in a relatively quick and painless manner?

I found a few things that suggest creating a query to find out how much memory is being used by each database, but the returned results were confusing for me. Essentially, I'm looking for a method that says 'this database is using up X amount of memory'.

Sorry if I'm not wording something right, I dont know a whole lot about the topic.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Old databases that are no longer required
September 29, 2010 04:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.