MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Tracking past group memberships of multiple groups
Posted by: Meir Guttman
Date: January 15, 2013 08:54AM

Hello all!

I have an application in which I have to track all group-membership history of multiple groups, each group comprised of multiple members. Think of it as fraternity membership in a college: many fraternities, many members in each.

Group-members are either added or deleted, never updated. A given member however can leave and then rejoin later its former group or another group. Typically, more then one member is joining and leaving at a given date.

And a key requirement is to be able to reconstruct the group membership as it was at any past date. (The time granularity is days.) So far it seems that I am talking about a classical "Point-in-Time Architecture" or PTA.

After searching these forums and the web, I came across two approaches:

These two approaches deal only with single rows, at least in their examples. The question is whether or not either one can deal with retrieving a multiple members group, given the Group-ID and a (past) date.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Meir

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.