MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
Posted by: chris rhoads
Date: April 12, 2014 02:12PM

Hello all,

First timer here using MySQL - Studying lessons found in Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 24 hrs. I am trying to create a table for one of the in chapter examples and entered the code directly from the book and keep getting an error.

The following is the error
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'INTER GER(10) NULL, EMP_PAGER INTERGER(10) NULL)' at line 9

This is the code.
mysql> CREATE TABLE EMPLOYEE_TBL
(
EMP_ID CHAR(9) NOT NULL,
EMP_NAME VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL,
EMP_ST_ADDR VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
EMP_CITY VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
EMP_ST CHAR(2) NOT NULL,
EMP_ZIP INTEGER(5) NOT NULL,
EMP_PHONE INTERGER(10) NULL,
EMP_PAGER INTERGER(10) NULL);

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with line 9 where I first enter just a NULL value?

This is on PG 42 last table on the page.

Thought I had the issue resolved when I noticed that the answers in the back that had null values just dropped the NULL completely so i issued the following code.

mysql> CREATE TABLE EMPLOYEE_TBL
-> (
-> EMP_ID VARCHAR(9) NOT NULL,
-> EMP_NAME VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL,
-> EMP_ST_ADDR VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
-> EMP_CITY VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
-> EMP_ZIP INTEGER(5) NOT NULL,
-> EMP_PHONE INTERGER (10),
-> EMP_PAGER INTERGER (10)
-> );
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'INTER
GER (10),

Please help. I cannot figure out where the syntax is incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 02:22PM by chris rhoads.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.