MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: optimising a create table as select
Posted by: Daniel Fisher
Date: May 16, 2014 05:20AM

1. This index is need for this process and is created on the historical_trips table on the created_at column

ALTER TABLE amfam_production.historical_trips
ADD INDEX sk_created_at (created_at);

2. Derive the max ID from the historical_trips table. This historical_trips.id is the foreign key to the historical_readings.trip_id table, this is fairly quick.

Select max(t1.id) as m1
FROM historical_trips t1
Where t1.created_at <= DATE_SUB(sysdate(), INTERVAL 1 MONTH);

3. Derive the max historical_readings.id by using derived trip_id from part 2 and return and record the max_id from the historical_readings table.

Select max(t2.id) from historical_readings t2
Where t2.trip_id = m1

4. Create new table as a clone of the historical_readings table. Believe this preserves all the column types and the auto increment values. This could be a good type to change some of the column types and add in partitioning. In Oracle I can create a reference partition key which use the foreign key id of the parent, not possible in MySQL I don’t think, so will have to Denormalise and add some dates from historical_trips to historical_readings.

Create table historical_readings_new like historical_readings;

5. Populate the new table historical_readings_new with data from historical_readings using an insert into selecting data that is not be archived i.e. it is less than 1 month old. See Steps 2 and 3

Oracle will collapse with an incremental commit i.e. commit every 1000 rows with a (snapshot too old) not sure if MySQL can be optimised with incremental commits

Insert into historical_readings_new select * from historical_readings
Where t2.id > 6847513903;
Commit;

6. Rename table historical_readings and historical_readings_new table ready for the switch.

ALTER TABLE amfam_production. historical_readings RENAME historical_readings_old;
ALTER TABLE amfam_production. historical_readings_new RENAME historical_readings;

Really appreciate your help, hopefully I can repay the favour one day

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.