MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: shadowing a DBA
Posted by: Rick James
Date: August 20, 2014 07:47PM

"Shadowing" sounds like something that no company would allow, for security reasons. Maybe a startup would not be concerned, but startups are at work 60 hours a week.

Suggest, instead, that you befriend DBAs and chat with them frequently.

There is also "DBE" - Database Engineer, which is sort of a cross between application programmer and DBA.

And "SE" - Service Engineer, which involves keeping the hardware running, and, to a lesser degree, keeping the software running.

If you join a startup, you are likely to wear all those hats, plus make the coffee.

A DBA might do some "programming" -- writing scripts to handle backups, making schema changes, applying changes that the programmers ask for, etc.

A programmer is more involved in the Business logic of the application; a DBA is more involved in the details of the database, and may be somewhat ignorant of the application.

When (on this forum), I say "do this" (as a DBA), I want to know enough about the application to avoid advocating a cookbook reply that does not apply in their situation. So, I think of myself as a DBE.

Read the threads in the "Best of the Best" in
http://mysql.rjweb.org/bestof.html
They give you some insight into what a DBA/DBE needs to know and say. (Many, not all, were authored by me.)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
August 18, 2014 09:17AM
Re: shadowing a DBA
August 20, 2014 07:47PM
August 23, 2014 01:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.