MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Moving MySQL (XAMPP) between windows installs.
Posted by: Phillip Ward
Date: August 26, 2014 05:45AM

I have a fresh install of windows because my old one became corrupted.
Oh dear.

So I did an install to make sure that the registry had everything it need and then just copied the files from the old drive to the new. And it doesn't work.
And you're surprised by this?

... I know that I should backup the old database and restore it on the new install. But that seems like horrible design if you can't get the old install running.
And that suggests that you're not taking regular backups to protect yourself against exactly the kind of failure that you've experienced.

Database Administrator's #1 responsibility: Protect the Data.
Everything (and everyone) else is secondary.

I have found little in the way of quality reference on how you would do this. Just post after post of people say backup your database with mysql running to move it.
If you really want to, you can drive your car around all day whilst facing backwards instead of forwards but, unless you happen to drive an S.P.V. (OK; showing my age there!) you're almost certainly going to drive into a tree.
If everybody seems to be saying the same thing then, I would suggest, there's probably some merit in it.

Makes sense to back it up but it makes zero sense to have files that can't just be moved.
Software evolves. Internal data file structures change. New implementations target new platforms that work completely differently.
Only the external, persistable form (i.e. your backup) remains consistent.

Regards, Phill W.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Moving MySQL (XAMPP) between windows installs.
August 26, 2014 05:45AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.