MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

broad match search results, splitting the search by spaces
Posted by: Joseph Charles
Date: November 11, 2014 12:30PM

Hi there I have a simple search form on a website built in classic ASP, which im searching through a MySQL database table for a match with.

The database contains a lot of items labeled by size.

So for example if a user searches for: 38mm x 21mm
They will get a match because that is part of the name of the item in the database.

However the problem I have is that if they search for: 38 x 21
or for: 21mm x 38mm
Nothing is found.

I need to find a way to split the search up so all these searches work.
I would like to have it so that it searches for each part between the spaces seperately. I thought I found something on Google called FreeText which should do this, but there is very little info on it, and I cant get it to work.

Here are a few things ive tried so far:
rsCustSearch__testvar = Request.form("search")

rsCustSearch.Source = "SELECT * FROM Products WHERE ProductName LIKE '%" + Replace(rsCustSearch__testvar, "'", "''") + "%' OR LLength LIKE '%" + Replace(rsCustSearch__testvar, "'", "''") + "%' OR LHeight LIKE '%" + Replace(rsCustSearch__testvar, "'", "''") + "%'"

Doesnt match the way described above(38 x 21, or 21mm x 38mm), will only match if I search for 38 or 21 or I search for 38mm x 21mm

rsCustSearch.Source = "SELECT * FROM Products WHERE FREETEXT(*,"'%" + Replace(rsCustSearch__testvar, "'", "''") + "%'")"

Just gives me an error about syntax

rsCustSearch.Source = "SELECT * FROM Products WHERE Contains(*,'%" + Replace(rsCustSearch__testvar, "'", "''") + "%')"

Just gives me an error about syntax

Please can anyone help, im tearing my hair out...

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
broad match search results, splitting the search by spaces
November 11, 2014 12:30PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.