MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Partitioning Approach for multi-tenant db
Posted by: John Bartkus
Date: February 17, 2015 06:10PM

Looking for advice on best practice/approach for partitioning a database based on tenant.

I have a db of 54 tables, which (other than global reference tables) has a SiteID of type SmallInt on each table to differentiate clients/tenants.
While this is only supporting two clients today, I expect 50 within a year (and target maxing out at less than 500).

Background: I want to partition the db by SiteID in order to:
* Speed interactions with Client data since almost all operations are by SiteID.
* Allow IDs (such as UserID, EventID, RegistrationID) to autoincrement for each individual client (more intuitive).
* Be able to rightfully declare that each client's data is separated from other clients.

Key Questions:
* Which partition method is best for this SiteID situation?
Assume the SiteID is an integer between 1 and 500 (max).
Is it "LINEAR KEY" on SiteID ?
* Will this (or another partitioning) method be able to dynamically create a partition for the next SiteID that gets created?
(SiteID is an autoincrement PK for each new client).
Or would I have to go into every table to increase the partition count and associate the new partition with the new SiteID? (Ugh).

Thanks for any insights!!
John

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Partitioning Approach for multi-tenant db
February 17, 2015 06:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.