MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Can't connect or start Server
Posted by: Jeff Walters
Date: March 25, 2015 08:31AM

I never really understood how to start the MySQL server. I was shown by a friend that I need to go out to the command prompt, as administrator, and type the command "mysqld -u root -p" (if I'm recalling that correctly). I did that again today. (I always just put my PC to sleep, so the mysql server was always running the next day. Well, after some windows updates, I had to reboot and try to get mysql up and running again. I've been using workbench to complete a Udemy course on SQL, but now I can't seem to connect).

Windows task manager/services is showing MySQL56 is running. When I go into Workbench I can't connect to the local mysql connection. When I click on the Local box from the home screen of workbench, it will ask for the password, which is blank. It then tells me "Cannot Connect to Database Server"...

Questions:
How do I start and connect to the server/database so I can use Workbench to run querries?

Can I configure my computer to automatically start MySQL server when my PC starts? Going to the command prompt seems like a weird/archaic way of doing it.

I'm running Windows 7, 32bit, MySQL5.6 and I know very little about configuring Windows and software in general (in other words, please dumb down your answer :))

TIA!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Can't connect or start Server
March 25, 2015 08:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.