MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Looping through a file to create separate CSV files
Posted by: William Carney
Date: November 12, 2015 02:15PM

New to MySQL, used FoxPro back in the day.

Here is my situation. I have a table created from data from a legacy app, with a field TAGS that contains values separated by pipes | (ex: |400|457|665|) and another field USERID that contains a numeric value.

Tags can be any number between 1 and 4000, and the value may not necessarily be in the file I am importing.

For example

TAGS, USERID
|400|57|600|, fab123
|57|60|, fcd245
|600|,abc123

What I need to do is export separate CSV files containing one TAG and the USERIDs of people that have that tag. Using my example above, I’ll have created files

400.csv
57.csv
600.csv
60.csv

I know I can brute force export the data:

SELECT ‘Tag', 'UserID' FROM my_table WHERE tags LIKE "%|400|%" INTO OUTFILE '~/Downloads/400.csv' FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' ESCAPED BY '\\' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';
SELECT ‘Tag', 'UserID' FROM my_table WHERE tags LIKE "%|401|%" INTO OUTFILE '~/Downloads/401.csv' FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' ESCAPED BY '\\' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';

But this sure doesn’t seem graceful and it also creates a bunch of empty files, one for each number.

Doing something like I want was easy in FoxPro:

FOR counter = 1 TO 4000
COUNT TO m.it ALL FOR "|" + ALLTRIM(STR(counter)) + "|"$tags
IF m.it>0 THEN
COPY to "c:\temp\" + ALLTRIM(STR(counter)) +".csv" TYPE csv
ENDIF
ENDFOR

How does one accomplish the same in MySQL?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Looping through a file to create separate CSV files
November 12, 2015 02:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.