MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Advice on checking apps before upgrading from 5.1.73 to 5.5
Posted by: Ken Maz
Date: September 08, 2016 10:05AM

Hi,

I am a designer, I know nothing about MySQL but I need some advice, please.

I host sites on a Cpanel/WHM server running MySQL 5.1.73. and Cpanel says MySQL 5.1 will not function in future versions of cPanel & WHM. I therefore need to upgrade MySQL.

Nearly all sites I host and manage are wordpress, which will run 5.5 fine. However, about 10 years ago I took over the running of a handful of small "mom and pop" sites which run small bespoke apps for MySQL written by the previous host. Nothing too complex, mainly just 5-10 small tables. The problem I now have is that I've no idea if these will run on 5.5, after I upgrade. Someone has suggested testing on a local server but I've no idea whatsoever what that involves, and wouldn't trust myself anyway to know I'd tested properly.

Can anyone suggest what I should do - any other testing methods, or ways back if upgrade causes them to crash? Should I just go for it and see what happens and urgently find someone to fix after, if required (I don't know any PHP/MySQL developers)?

Also, my web host will perform the upgrade OK but they want to know what version I wish to go to. To minimize possible issues, is 5.5 the best version to go to? Is there an exact version of 5.5 to go to?

Thanks for any and all advice. :)

Ken.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Advice on checking apps before upgrading from 5.1.73 to 5.5
September 08, 2016 10:05AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.