MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Unnexpected nonaggregated field error
Posted by: James Cobban
Date: October 01, 2016 01:05AM

Running with Server version: 5.7.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (Ubuntu) I am getting the following error message, and I cannot figure out how to get around the condition that the server is complaining about without turning off the sql_mode.

SELECT Page, SUM(GivenNames != '') AS namecount, SUM(Age != '') AS agecount, SUM(IDIR != 0) AS idircount, PT_Population, PT_Transcriber, PT_Proofreader FROM Census1911 JOIN Pages ON PT_Census='CA1911' AND PT_DistId=District AND PT_SdId=SubDistrict AND PT_Div=Division AND PT_Sched='1' AND PT_Page=Page WHERE District=66 AND SubDistrict='14' AND Division='' GROUP BY Page ORDER BY Page': Array ( [0] => 42000 [1] => 1055 [2] => Expression #5 of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'jcobban_genealogy.Pages.PT_Population' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by

The JOIN for table Pages identifies every part of the unique key of the table:

CREATE TABLE `Pages` (
`PT_Census` VARCHAR(6) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'CA1881',
`PT_DistId` DECIMAL(4,
1) NOT NULL,
`PT_SdId` VARCHAR(5) NOT NULL,
`PT_Div` VARCHAR(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`PT_Sched` CHAR(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',
`PT_Page` INT(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`PT_Population` INT(2) DEFAULT '25',
`PT_Image` VARCHAR(128) DEFAULT '',
`PT_Transcriber` VARCHAR(64) DEFAULT '',
`PT_ProofReader` VARCHAR(64) DEFAULT '',
PRIMARY KEY (`PT_Census`,
`PT_DistId`,
`PT_SdId`,
`PT_Div`,
`PT_Sched`,
`PT_Page`),
KEY `PT_Image` (`PT_Image`) )
ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

I am grouping the response from the first table `Census1911` on Page, and all of the fields in the primary key of Pages are specified in the JOIN therefore a single record from Pages should be selected for each record created from the first table so I do not understand why PT_Population should be considered "nonaggregated". I do not understand what I am expected to add to the GROUP BY to satisfy the server.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Unnexpected nonaggregated field error
October 01, 2016 01:05AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.