MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Downgrading Impossible or just ridiculously hard
Posted by: Phillip Ward
Date: November 16, 2016 06:39AM

... the company I am working for wants to upgrade there servers from 5.6 to 5.7. ...
Excellent objective.

... the company also wants to be able to switch between 5.7 and 5.6 ...
If you mean using the same data file with both 5.6 and 5.7, then - No way.

If they want to run 5.6 and 5.7 in parallel then they can run the different versions on different machines but it's highly unlikely that those machines will want to "talk" to one another. It might be that they have application dependencies that they can't resolve in the short term, so they'd have to run older software on the earlier database version but that's far less than ideal.

... when i try to install 5.6 It corrupts the tables ...
So, presumably (and not unexpectedly) the 5.7 upgrade made changes to the data file format that 5.6 knows nothing about.

There is nothing that you can do about this.

... ive gone into mysql and tried to format the tables ...
If the data file format has changed between versions, then there is no way to get the older version to read the newer format files.

I assume you still have their "real", 5.6 server machines up and running.
Build new server machines and install 5.7 on them.

Then go back to the company and find out what they actually want to achieve, because flip-flopping between versions of database software is simply not possible.

Regards, Phill W.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Downgrading Impossible or just ridiculously hard
November 16, 2016 06:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.