MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

UPDATE restriction on SubQuery Table
Posted by: James Cobban
Date: December 08, 2016 01:27AM

I have a spot where I need to set an integer field to 1 more than the highest value of that field in the table. Bear in mind that I did not design this table. I have got the command to work with the current level of MySQL:

INSERT INTO tblIR (IDIR, many other fields)
SELECT 1 + COALESCE(MAX(IDIR), 0), many other values FROM tblIR

I do the SELECT to get MAX(IDIR) in the INSERT so the update is atomic. The COALESCE is so the code will work for the very first record inserted into the table.

But this syntax does not strike me as intuitive because that first field is the only one whose value comes from tblIR. That is all of the other values are constants passed in the parameter array to the prepared statement execute. But MySQL 5.6 and above rejects the use of a sub-query in this situation with the unexplained declaration "You cannot update a table and select from the same table in a subquery." This INSERT used to read:

INSERT INTO tblIR (IDIR, many other fields)
(1 + COALESCE((SELECT MAX(IDIR) FROM tblIR), 0), other values)

But that now fails with a 1093 error code.

So what does INSERT have against sub-queries? I honestly do not understand the difference between the two statements. I wish the documentation explained why this restriction was added.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
UPDATE restriction on SubQuery Table
December 08, 2016 01:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.