Problem inserting german and french characters
Posted by: Kenia Glez
Date: March 06, 2008 09:51AM

Hello everybody!

I have a database that's supposed to hold data in different laguages, such as english, spanish, hebrew, german and french, but in priciple users may want to store info in any language. The charset I'm using is utf8 and collation utf8-general-ci, so that any character is correctly stored, however I've just found the following problem:
-When I insert any special character of german language it doesn't get stored correctly, for example the ß is represented as ß, however if I update the database, then it's well represented, so that makes me think the problem is just in the insertion. The same happens with the è character of the french language.
Am I using the wrong charset or collation? Which one should I use instead? If this is the problem, then why the update operation works? I would expect it not to, and however it does...
Please, if anyone has any idea and can help me out with this, I will really appreciate it, it's a big issue I've been having and I can't seem to find a solution for it yet.

Thanks in advance,

Kenia

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Problem inserting german and french characters
March 06, 2008 09:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.