How to know that foreign characters are being inserted as utf-8?
Posted by: Dino Persakis
Date: January 14, 2010 01:40PM

Hi, I'm a newbie with this issue of character encoding and I have scoured the net for weeks trying to find a solution to this problem. I am trying to make sure that all text inserted into the db is actually stored as utf-8. I'm using mysql 5.1.11 and I even created a test database with one table. Charset utf8 Collation utf8_general_ci. Simple form submits to a php page. UTF-8 is declared everywhere but when I submit various languages like Greek, Turkish, Spanish, Asian fonts, etc. If I insert Español Türkçe Ελληνικά and then check it in query browser the first two show up and the greek word (third one) shows up as a bunch of vertical bars. When I check under the binary tab the characters that show up are messed up. Any ideas if I'm doing somthing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
How to know that foreign characters are being inserted as utf-8?
January 14, 2010 01:40PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.