MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

Re: Problem with fulltext search using encoded german umlauts (strange behaviour of "MATCH(column) AGAINST ('keyword' IN BOOLEAN MODE)")
Posted by: Web Team
Date: April 23, 2010 01:24AM

Hi Rick,

after checking the documentation of the editor we found out, that we could change the behaviour of processing the umlauts to html entities. The only question which stays in my mind is, what would be the perfect setup for a site with the following general conditions: multilanguage Site (english, german and french) [more languages coming soon]

Right now we have chosen the following setup (seems a little strange while checking this again...):

HTTP-Response-Header
--------------------
- Content-Type: text/html;charset=iso-8859-1

Database specific
-----------------
- database collation: utf8_general_ci

DBMS specific
-------------
- MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
- MySQL connection collation: utf8_unicode_ci
- character set client: utf8
- character set connection: utf8
- character set database: latin1
- character set filesystem: binary
- character set results: utf8
- character set server: latin1
- character set system: utf8
- collation connection: utf8_unicode_ci
- collation database: latin1_swedish_ci
- collation server: latin1_swedish_ci

I'll have to admit, all these settings above are like a closed book for me. Maybe our servers administrator knows why those settings are like this, but i am not convinced of that...

When we would have all the umlauts and special characters (ie. the french é) unencoded in the database, would we have to process them before sending them to the clients browser, or isn't that necessary when using the right setup of all those parameters above?

Thanx in advance
Toby

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.