MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Query Browser

Re: MySQL Query Browser -- Updating entries
Posted by: Neil Jackson
Date: August 27, 2004 08:36AM

I've found MySQL Query Browser to be a godsend - despite being a rather clunky alpha version with various hiccups. It SHOULD cope with a standard SQL 'UPDATE mydb.mytable SET thisfield = thatdata WHERE thisfield = theolddata;' style queries. I use it for that all the time.

Sometimes, though, if it's a very big DB, and there's a lot of updating to be done, I've noticed it can take a while. But in those circumstances, I've found I can 'keep an eye' on the status of the query using MySQL Administrator - and it'll give me a clue that at least the query is still running, and the socket hasn't been lost.

However, if you meant 'update a field' in the sense of changing the table schema, this IS also possible via Query Browser. Just right-click on the table, choose Edit Table, and you can make various changes to things like field-length, datatypes, adding columns, deleting them, dropping tables, making new ones, etc. It's pretty handy. It generates the appropriate SQL query necessary to do the job (so obviously the user-account you're connecting with thru Query Browser needs the necessary permissions), and you just 'OK' it, and it's done in a few moments.

Perhaps if you're not getting that going, maybe your install of MySQL is damaged or incorrectly configured in some way? Or again, perhaps it's a permissions issue?

I kind of agree with Brian, re his "learn the console, Luke" message ;) It is always worthwhile understanding what's going on under the hood. But I've gotta say, to me, knowing all that I did about MSAccess's ropiness and head-bangery, it's still a step backwards to have to use a CLI to run my database. I LIKE being able to have lazy pre-saved queries that I can bang up by clicking on a button and display in a decent, non-ASCII, scrollable GUI window. Especially if they are queries I have to do repeatedly (sometimes days apart) and can't actually be bothered to remember the precise nuances of the SQL I need.

Moreover, how does one use a CLI on MySQL when the database is across a LAN in a different room? I've tried telnetting to TCP3306 and got kicked off, and although I can use Remote Desktop to run the CLI 'locally' on the server, it's a big overhead, for just a couple of queries.

Sure, Query Browser goes some of the way there in solving these problems - and it's only an alpha version, so I shan't knock it. It's already a lifesaver, and I don't think I'd really have the patience to stick with MySQL without it - but boy-o-boy, will I be happy when it's complete! :)

I still haven't worked out whether Query Browser's 'build a query with the cursor' technology is meant to work or not! It looks like it should, but whether mine's a buggy install, or whether it's not fully implemented yet, I don't know. And I can't find a shred of QB help anywhere yet!

Still - from little acorns, and all that...

Hope you managed to crack your problem, Jim

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: MySQL Query Browser -- Updating entries
August 27, 2004 08:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.