MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Finding where MySQL has installed
Posted by: tony harding
Date: December 12, 2012 02:56AM

I have a number of virtual servers all running CentOS 5.8 (some 64bit). All up to date with patches.

I log in as root move to / and type “yum install mysql” and it installs mysql-5.0.95-1.el5_7.1.i386. But Webmin does not find it and start it in most cases. There is not a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld

I do have 2 servers that do find mysql, but these are not servers I need or want mysql on. I have copied the file /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld from one of them to the ones that do not work and I get

chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user
Initializing MySQL database: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: line 500: /usr/bin/mysql_install_db: No such file or directory
[FAILED]
chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user

What is the likely reason the install has not put a file in /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld for which I have write rights?

Any ideas on why some installs work and some do not, given that I am using the same command to the same OS?

All donations gratefully received.

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Finding where MySQL has installed
December 12, 2012 02:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.