MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Unable to install MySQL 5.5.8 on MacOS 10.6 - SOLVED
Posted by: C H
Date: January 26, 2011 01:05PM

I experienced the same issue with mysql 5.5.8 not starting on Mac OS X 10.6.6 but was able to resolve the issue to my satisfaction

I'll leave it to others to decide whether this is a workaround or a completely legitimate and reasonable solution, but I made a one line change in the mysql.server startup script

The script is located at:
/usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server

Edit line 67 which reads:
bindir=./bin
to fully specify the path to the bin directory:
bindir=/usr/local/mysql/bin

No other changes were required. There might have been a more elegant/portable solution such as passing the basedir on the command line of the format:
/usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server start --basedir=/usr/local/mysql
which according to the documentation should work, but alas, it does not. even if it had, the documented format (start|stop before parameters) precludes a minimal update to the mac StartupItem script: /Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/MySQLCOM as such an edit would be at least a two line change rather than one.

In any case, to be clear, the working solution is the one-line change to line 67 of /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server

-- hillct

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.