MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Can't get MySQL 5.5 to install on Windows 7
Posted by: Chris Besant
Date: December 19, 2010 02:55AM

Donald is right, Vladislav. While I did originally have problems of another nature due to having some files leftover in c:\Users\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\data, (service wouldn't start because of silly InnoDB log file issue), I wiped everything clean manually, and the NOT NULL with no default error on the authentication_string happened anyway. I also had the same problem installing on two other machines that never had the 5.5 RC installed or anything in the shared data directory.

It's a simple oversight -- someone added the NOT NULL constraint on the authentication_string, or added that column, after whoever wrote the wizard was done testing and the wizard doesn't have a value for that column on an INSERT statement.

Again, this is simple to fix. Stop the wizard when it bombs with the "no default value" error on adding the security settings, go into some client tool and modify the authentication_string column in the user table in the mysql system database to remove the NOT NULL constraint, then re-run the configuration wizard.

This has nothing to do with the version of operating system or any network configuration -- it's purely a NOT NULL constraint violation.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Can't get MySQL 5.5 to install on Windows 7
December 19, 2010 02:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.