MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

MySQL 5.6.11 won't start up on RHEL
Posted by: MATTHEW LOWY
Date: May 02, 2013 05:50AM

Strange error with MySQL 5.6.11 installed on a RedHat 5.8 platform... anyone seen this before / know what to do to get round it?

The server is a clean install of RHEL5u8 (64 bit)... and MySQL was installed from the pre-built RPMs downloaded from this site on 1 May 2013. Install apparently went OK (teh rpm command reported everything as OK) however when I try to start MySQL from the installed /etc/init.d/mysql startup script I get what seems to be the classic error:
Starting MySQL. ERROR! Manager of pid-file quit without updating file.

Unfortunately, all the things I tried from a Google search failed to resolve this... there are no existing MySQL processes to kill, there is no /etc/my.cnf file, there is no MySQLlog file on the system in /var/log, moving the ib_logfile didn't help, there is no existing PID file. It just refuses to start up and I can't find any indication as to why!

Removing 5.6.11 and installing the equivalent RPMs from 5.5.20 and MySQL starts up exactly as expected. I had 5.5.20 available from a previous install... that's the only reason I went with it.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL 5.6.11 won't start up on RHEL
May 02, 2013 05:50AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.