MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Cannot reinstall/configure server 5.6
Posted by: George Brooks
Date: April 21, 2014 04:43PM

Beginning with a working installation of 5.6 on Windows 8.1, I thought I'd take a look at MySQL for Excel. With the installer I selected only MySQL for Excel and installed. A short experiment showed that it did not do what I needed so I uninstalled it.

The next time I went to use Workbench no connection to the server was available - the server was stopped. Attempts to start the server resulted in the following:

"The MySQL56 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

There was no indication of what file could not be found. From there I uninstalled all MySQL related applications (server, workbench, ODBC connector, etc.), rebooted and reinstalled.

During configuration I'm prompted for old and new root passwords. Regardless of whether the old password is provided I get an error that I could not connect, so installation fails. Event viewer provides the following:

"The description for Event ID 100 from source MySQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Now what?

George

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Cannot reinstall/configure server 5.6
April 21, 2014 04:43PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.