MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Advice on Indexing
Posted by: Greg Roodt
Date: December 06, 2014 07:57AM

I have a MySQL database server running version 5.0.77. The server load persistently borders on maximum resource usage. I also have a master slave configuration for purpose of replication.

One of the very active tables is 3.5 Gb in size. There are several indexes defined and I need to add a new index. The last time I tried adding an index the load peaked and stayed maximum for about 5+ hours, although the table was substantially bigger at the time and replication was not active.

I am not sure if this time frame to add an index is an acceptable average or excessive. Given the current configuration and load situation I am loathe to simply add another index and was hoping someone had some experience with this and could tell me what to expect and any precautions I should take before adding the index.

I also need to know if there will be any implications regards the replication etc. server during this excercise?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Advice on Indexing
December 06, 2014 07:57AM
December 26, 2014 12:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.