MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: SOLUTION: "mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"
Posted by: David Massey
Date: February 20, 2005 09:04PM

Dear flamtriplets_2000,

Thank you for your post. I am very new at PHP and MySQL, but I am struggling to learn. You helped out a great deal.

Background: MacOS 10.3.8. PHP v.4.3.10, MySQL v.4.1.10-max (running Client 4.1.1-alpha). Also downloaded trial version of a MySQL administrator software package called Navicat.

Anyway, long story short, after untold days which included massaging software packages, 4 "from-scratch" hard drive rebuilds, tinkering at the >prompt on Terminal, experimenting with MyAdminPHP, and Navicate, I finally got all packages installed and running in a secure state.

Then I went to Macromedia Dreamweaver to work my way through a tutorial - that's where I received the "Client does not support authentication..." error. Ugghh... I'm tough, I don't cry easily, that's just some dust in my eye - right?!

Any after hours of reading and searching I found your post. Sounded good so I tried it. I copied and pasted step three into the MySQL prompt, inserting my pw in place. Wow, MyAdminPHP started working with no errors - all secure - ready to go. Hmmm. Maybe what's good for the goose is good for the gander. So I went back to the MySQL prompt and pasted in the same line, this time using the name to the user I had created in Navicat, and changing his password over to the old_password style. Hey, it worked for root@localhost - right?

Went back to the Dreamweaver tutorial and BAMM!!! - "Connection made successfully". I don't know how you guys figure this stuff out, especially on a PC which is total Greek to me, but thanks. I am a happy camper, and I may get to see my wife this weekend.

You are appreciated!

David

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
December 31, 2005 12:02AM
December 31, 2005 02:28AM
March 29, 2006 03:12AM
March 24, 2007 02:58PM
Re: SOLUTION: "mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"
February 20, 2005 09:04PM
January 03, 2006 07:48AM
March 16, 2006 10:03AM
November 02, 2005 07:38AM
January 16, 2006 03:46PM
July 24, 2006 07:40AM
March 28, 2006 11:18PM
August 23, 2006 01:21PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.