Date: December 31, 2005 12:02AM

anthony katgert wrote:
> F*** mysql .. really I am getting very annoyed
> with people hyping how great MySQL works.. it does
> not for me
>
> IS IT SO HARD TO COME WITH ONE WORKING SOLUTION
> ????

Please! This is a public forum -- an inappropriate place for outbursts of profanity.

You may be frustrated by an inability to make the product work, but keep in mind that only a scant million or two of us were actually able to get it to work exactly as advertised across all of the major platforms available.

Perhaps you are stymied by the infamous PIBCAK error. Please refer to http://tinyurl.com/dda9m for further information on this frequent problem. There is ample relevant information in the user manual for your version of MySQL that addresses this specific issue.

As to your actual question, the answer is emphatically yes. It is very difficult to produce a robust, feature rich, enterprise-ready product that can compete with the likes of Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server, and offer it to the public for free. My colleagues are occasionally frustrated with Oracle, and we pay a prodigious sum annually for licensing and support. Keeping a slew of licensed SQL Server installations protected against things like "SQL Slammer" probably costs us more than what it would take to send a small team for professional MySQL training. Consider these seemingly paradoxical statements as they relate to the old adage, "you get what you pay for."

Here's a (rhetorical) question for you: Is it so hard to use the preview button?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Lighten up, man!
December 31, 2005 12:02AM
December 31, 2005 02:28AM
March 29, 2006 03:12AM
March 24, 2007 02:58PM
January 03, 2006 07:48AM
March 16, 2006 10:03AM
November 02, 2005 07:38AM
January 16, 2006 03:46PM
July 24, 2006 07:40AM
March 28, 2006 11:18PM
August 23, 2006 01:21PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.