MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Question about Handler_write
Posted by: Sebastien Caisse
Date: February 09, 2006 09:42AM

Here is the SHOW GLOBAL STATUS LIKE 'Handler_'; query for a server running for about 2 weeks:
"Variable_name","Value"
"Handler_commit","4991"
"Handler_delete","0"
"Handler_discover","0"
"Handler_prepare","0"
"Handler_read_first","1311"
"Handler_read_key","76594321"
"Handler_read_next","92577648"
"Handler_read_prev","0"
"Handler_read_rnd","11350911"
"Handler_read_rnd_next","16147952"
"Handler_rollback","96"
"Handler_savepoint","0"
"Handler_savepoint_rollback","0"
"Handler_update","2441"
"Handler_write","13448530"

Now given the front-end being Access, it's more or less to be expected that the queries built by it don't properly use the indexes and thus read_rnd and read_rnd_next have (well, to my eyes) high values; and this is probably a good place to optimize...

However what worries me more right now is that Handler_write seems to increase really fast yet in the program itself there are very few inserts being done... (around 500rows/s)

Although perhaps this includes INSERTs done on the mysql schema and/or temp tables created because of sorting? In the latter case, pretty much everything involves sorting in my select queries which would explain the massive INSERTs? [In that line of thought, Created_tmp_table increases at about 5tables/s]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2006 09:46AM by Sebastien Caisse.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Question about Handler_write
February 09, 2006 09:42AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.