MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Re: Make optimized LEFT JOIN with GROUP BY
Posted by: Jerry Potokar
Date: May 04, 2006 08:10AM

Is it possible to make a good search engine? Seems to me it is possible to index some parts of the query but if the visitor searches by other parts it is still slow...

I mean, I can do a fast engine with your advices in this posts, but when there is another table authors joined and person searches by author name it is slow. Because I have 3 where from the table recipes (slovnica, validirano, datum) and one from authors (author name)... And the explain is saying it is using where, but it can not find the right key because the key can only be from one table, yes?

So the search engine with all sorts of field searching etc. is allways some sort of compromise or am I totaly wrong here? So a search engine is always bad for performance if many people use it?

Jerry

PS - I also find out that using limit 1000,50 for example is allways slower than using 0,50... So listing seardch result data is faster at first, but it is slowed down as visitor progresses on pages...?!? Fortunately most visitors only look at one or two pages :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2006 08:12AM by Jerry Potokar.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Make optimized LEFT JOIN with GROUP BY
May 04, 2006 08:10AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.