MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Ruby

Re: MySQL Gem without Installing MySQL?
Posted by: mike montagne
Date: March 21, 2010 09:31AM

I don't know why anyone interested in processes which interface with MySQL would not be concerned with testing and development (which would require a MySQL installation). Although Windows is going to differ somewhat in compiler ramifications from Unix and Linux, you can follow my basic instructions at the link below, with the following caveats (which everyone should follow, if they have not gotten the multitude of "No definition for... warnings/errors"):

1. On your first attempt, try to build/install your mysql gem *without* the --no-rdoc and --no-ri switches (instructed as recourse for the reported rdoc and ri errors to which the following post responded). This will test whether *your* mysql gem installation *has* been successfully bundled with the requested RDoc and ri resources.

2. If this attempt results in the reported "No definition for [RDoc or ri resource]" errors/warnings:

Uninstall your gem from terminal:
sudo gem uninstall mysql

Check your results with:
gem list
There should be no mysql gem listed.

Then build/install the gem *with* the --no-rdoc and --no-ri switches, as instructed at:

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?116,353922,359544#msg-359544

3. This of course may "successfully install" the gem. *But*, without MySQL installed, running, and accessible, it certainly will not guarantee that the gem and integrated processes will function as they're expected in the development environment. Rake migrations for instance will fail. Of course, these probable dysfunctionalities can rightly or wrongly be attributed to your code and/or your encouragement to try your code without MySQL installed; so I would recommend you carefully consider and prove yourself, whatever you're hoping to demonstrate without a valid, integrated MySQL environment.

Regards,

mike montagne

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: MySQL Gem without Installing MySQL?
March 21, 2010 09:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.