MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Docs

Server Status Variables - Queries variable - formula correct?
Posted by: David Raimosson
Date: October 11, 2016 06:56AM

Hi!

We currently monitor several status variables, for example "Queries". This is done once a minute and the result is divided by the number of seconds elapsed between the samples. We have an average of roughly 2000 - 2500 queries per second. But, we also see spikes of as much as 150 K queries per second according to this variable. When we enable the general log we don't see any query bursts matching the spikes from the statistics.

I checked the COM_xxx variables from SHOW GLOBAL STATUS. I summed them up and added the Qcache_hits variable to this result. This is all according to the formula found in the docs: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/server-status-variables.html.
But, the results aren't matching very well. For a newly started server (dev machine) I can see almost perfect results, but for anything like a stage server instance or production server instance, running for weeks, there are major discrepancies.
Is this formula trustworthy, or is it a remnant from the past that just come along today?

Any comment on where these spikes in the Queries variable might come from are also appreciated.

Best regards

David

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Server Status Variables - Queries variable - formula correct?
October 11, 2016 06:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.