Re: Database Design + Parts Explosion
Posted by: Joshua Gentes
Date: May 23, 2007 12:33PM

You could also create a view that lists all the parts of a given assembly including the root part (you might try using a union in there). You could then query the view with a part id and pull back the part and all of its associated sub-parts.
that is exactly what I need this function for. I need to list the associated parts from a given "parent" part.

I have actually renamed a couple of the fields prior to my post before about this, and I took out the category table all together, as every part is going to be in the parts category.

I do not know that much about the union function ? but I am guessing that it is much like a while loop from what I have seen so far?

the other last thing I really didn't mention in here before and something that I do not believe will have too much of an impact beyond the first level is the printer type. I replaced the "category" table with a printer table, being as that would be a much better reference.

Parts
-- part_id
-- serial
-- description
-- part_status (enum 1 or 0 - coinciding with being available and obsolete)

Part_has_child
-- parent_id
-- child_id
-- quantity

Part_has_printer
-- printer_id
-- part_id

can you give me some advice on how I can accomplish getting a list of all the "sub-parts" from a given "parent-part"

SELECT Parts.serial, Parts.description, Part_has_child.quantity
FROM Parts, Parts_has_child
WHERE Parts.part_status = 1
AND (SELECT child_id FROM Parts_has_child JOIN Parts.part_id ON Parts_has_child.parent_id)
AND (SELECT part_id FROM Parts_has_printer JOIN Parts.part_id ON Parts_has_child.printer_id)

the 2 AND clauses are trying to make sure that the child_id belongs to the parent_id and that the child_id belongs to the printer being looked at.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Database Design + Parts Explosion
May 23, 2007 12:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.