MySQL Partition Feature or Sharding
Posted by: Andrew Rosolino
Date: November 04, 2010 10:37AM

Hi,

I currently have a table that collects analytic data from each guest and this table is rapidly growing. For example I store information based on the guests IP, browser, visit time, referral.

Now in my administration area I view this data sorted by the visit time. So what I was originally thinking was using MySQL partition feature to create a partition based on each month. My question is.. if I have say 1,000,000,000 rows on one table partitioned by month is this still a good way to go?

Or once I reach 1,000,000,000 rows is a better idea to start sharding my data over multiple tables.

I guess my main in concern is I don't want to lose search features such as search by browser agent or IP. Because if it's sharded then I would have to union all the tables but if I go the partition route it would still all be in one table.

I am aiming for the future here because my database is growing a rapid pace and this table is only one example.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL Partition Feature or Sharding
November 04, 2010 10:37AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.