Re: Data Model Verification for Hierarchal Data
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: March 26, 2011 12:11PM

I would like to get this back on topic. My concern and question with posting was in reference to my model.

Only you can verify your model. The only way to do that is to instantiate it, populate it with representative test data, and prove it runs all queries that your specification (which we have not seen) requires, in acceptable time.

Because of known problems with the nested sets model you seem to have become enamoured with, verification also requires that you compare the results of the above process on your nested sets model with the same process on an edge list model.

My one comment on your model is that two-char keys are often a mistake because eventually, multiple objects are likely to imply duplicate two-character keys, and at that moment the key becomes misleading. I'd recommend surrogate keys.

PB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 12:12PM by Peter Brawley.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Data Model Verification for Hierarchal Data
March 26, 2011 12:11PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.