Best practice in this situation?
Posted by: Tenn Seven
Date: July 23, 2011 05:14PM

I am setting up a database for an application and some of the entities look like this:

Client --> Communications --> Images

A client would be a client entity, a communication would be a specific communication having to do with a specific client, and an image would be a single page from a single communication.

Seems simple enough, but what gives me pause is that there could be 1 to say 100 clients on the high end, and there could be hundreds of thousands of communications per client (let's say 500k-600k on the high end, and 40k on the low end), and each of those communications could have any number of pages, (normally 2-3, but hundreds in rare occasions and the very rare communication might have toward a thousand pages). Needless to say, these numbers that the Communications and Images tables could contain massive numbers of rows.

So, where normally I would store all of the communications in the Communications table with a foreign key reference back to the Client table, and all of the pages in the Images table with a foreign key reference back to the Communications table, it seems like the numbers here will just be too big. Do I separate the tables, like Communications_Customer1, Images_Customer1; Communications_Customer2, Images_Customer2, so on and so forth? Should the customers themselves each be a separate database on the server? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Any advice or link to advice on best design practices when dealing with information on this scale would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-TennSeven

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Best practice in this situation?
July 23, 2011 05:14PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.