Designing a forum - general design logic question
Posted by: Kimo Maru
Date: May 26, 2012 09:30AM

Hi,
Sorry in advance if this question is too newbie for this forum. I've a question on how to approach my first database design and would like some direction on my logic.

I'd like to set up a basic web forum. This is a bare bones setup, just looking to get the basics done for now. So, I need user accounts to be created and those accounts need to be able to create threads and replies to threads in a forum. I think I've worked out how the accounts are created; I'll create a system account in the grants table that will be used to create user accounts with specific priviledges to a single "posts" table in the forums database. However, I can't think of a way of to implement replies to posts. The post table, in my mind, should have a primary auto_increment key, a title varchar, and a content varchar (the original post). My first question is; how would that row in the posts table reflect the user name of the person who inserted that row in the posts table (in other words, the person who originated the post)? How could replies to the post be handled? Should a new table be created for this purpose?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Designing a forum - general design logic question
May 26, 2012 09:30AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.