MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Quality Assurance

Best Database Structure Movie Site
Posted by: Bp v7
Date: September 20, 2007 03:27AM

Hi,

I'm designing a movie database and was wondering what would be the best way to store the "Cast" for each movie? The way I was thinking of it there are three options:

1) Combine Cast + Movie Tables:
Append 1-5 columns onto the Movies Table for the popular actors (Actor1, Actor2...) and then one last column to hold the no namers (ActorList) that would be an array of names pretty much. Pros: Small, but seems if you place the most popular actors in those few columns, you could add a lot of functionality to a site with little cost. Cons: Might be a pain in the ass to retrieve that data from ActorList

2) Separate Movies / Cast Tables:
Cast table with 1-5 columns for popular actor spots and 1 more column for the remaining cast.

3) Create a separate table Cast Table that would be a 1 to 1 relationship with movie and it would have 100+? columns for actors. Pros: Each actor in his/her own column Cons: That's a lot of columns

Do you guys think either one of these would be the best for performance or usability? Any other approaches to this that you would shared with me?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Best Database Structure Movie Site
September 20, 2007 03:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.